Saturday, February 2, 2008

Newest Art work

Hi again. I thought it might be interesting to show an unfinished piece. You can see the chalk drawing I'm working on top of( I start with a white chalk pencil). I do work from photographs, and if you look real hard, you can see that I grid my landscapes. I like to free hand draw the model, but with landscape the grid method is just easier. I feel a magic when I can capture the likeness of the model.
Before 1999 I was never able to draw a person and get it to look like them, it just looked like a good person drawing. Actually, Claudia Schiffer from a Glamor Magazine was the first person I ever drew and captured a likeness. Thank you Claudia!
With the landscape I'm happy to grid, and show my person touch with the use of color and light. It's not always like the photograph, I might add shadows and highlights depending on what I think works better as an Artwork. Sometimes a great photo does not translate to a great painting, but can be a good recourse for one.
As for the grid, I draw a 1 inch by 1 inch grid on the photo. Then I draw a 3 inch by 3 inch grid on the drawing surface, and use that as a guide to make an accurate drawing that is 3 times as big.
As for the model, I just try to draw a picture three times as big, I really don't worry if it's not that accurate in size as long as I capture her likeness. I feel I have wiggle room with the model-landscape proportion.
Hopefully I will have more done on this piece soon and you can see the progress. Everyone take care. Cliff

No comments: