Saturday, February 16, 2008

Finished art work


Wow, it's been a while. I've had this finished for a while, but I had to wait for good conditions before photographing it. I take photos outside, and it's been too cloudy about every day. Actually, I need light from the setting sun, usually in the shadow of my house. No direct light, but bright light from the sky, and not too bright. That's the best light for me.
Anyway, this is the finished product. You can see I left in that rock to her left, and darkened areas. If I darken areas, I usually add more color too. I also tried to maintain or strengthen the light behind her and on the tree. Now for the title.
I am inspired by John Waterhouse and I love his painting Hamadryad (which you will see above my painting). The Hamadryad is a spirit that lives among the trees, and talks to Pan as you can see. He drew upon mythology and I draw upon painters like him for ideas.
Well, painters like him and Nature, music and other influences. There are too many influences to count, sometime just a mood, or something or someone I see while eating lunch or driving. It just makes me think of all the joy in the world from which we can draw inspiration. A pretty song, a pretty woman, incredible landscape, a friend or what's in your own imagination. Next time you're down remember these things. It's been a joy. Take care! Cliff

No comments: