Friday, August 24, 2012

Celestial Traveler





I'm still working on the Jewelery Box, so I decided to blog aboot one of my old paintings. It's when I was in my Space art phase. This is titled Celestial Traveler, and to be honest, I'm not sure if I sold it or not. It may be here somewher
e. I did it around 2003 or so and it's Color Pencil. I think it's 3 feet long. I was once part of a Space Art group but after I joined I found that the people involved were Illustrators for major science magazines, and they painted everything exactly as it should be. Some worked at NASA. If they painted Jupiter from a certain view, the stars were exactly as they would appear if you were really floating in space looking at the point of view their painting depicted. I realized I couldn't do that so after being criticized a few times on my inaccuracy of how the stars and planets really were I decided to leave their sandbox and play in my own. But that's OK. I decided to come down to Earth paint what I saw all the time as I hiked all over Kentucky. But, like the Space Artists, I decided to be pretty accurate with what I was painting. I've had several people see my paintings somewhere and say they know that place in the painting. That's always a good feeling. Still though, I sometimes like to look back at my early works and remember how excited I was to paint them. Everyone take care and have fun.

No comments: