Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Fields of Mercer County


Finally, I'm back. I've been working on this painting for a while now, but I didn't have a camera to take a pic of it with. But now I have one and a new painting to show! I'm calling this one Fields of Mercer County. I decided to get out of the woods a bit and try adding buildings to my work. Buildings have always been very hard for me, so I wanted to start doing them, but in the right setting. I still have to have the Nature element and also I like keeping the Female element too. When I took Art History in College, I remember seeing women in the farm fields in the Northern European paintings and I liked them. Here is my stab of doing something similar, but with a Kentucky spin. Behind the young woman is Shaker Town at Pleasant Hill. Me and my wife visit there often and used to live fairly close to there. I like it! So I got a friend of mine to model for me there and here is one of the results. She was a real sport. Very pretty and joy to work with. It's a big painting, 2 x 4 feet in size. Oh, and I have to say for anyone who wants to bring up the topic, I was not trying to make her a Shaker. I was thinking of a Late 1700-early1900's farm girl theme. An Idealized version. I doubt many girls went farming with bracelets and ear rings on. But hey, it's a painting and I get to create what's going on. I hope everyone enjoys it! Take care and have fun!

No comments: